Thursday, March 11, 2010

Is there any purpose to muck?

Clarity #2

Muck, or silt, is a fine substance that causes turbidity in water. It is lightweight and can be carried many miles by moving water. Something very interesting about it is that it created rich soil that made for fertile land in the Ancient Egypt civilization (see Wikipedia). You will read further that due to a system of levees built in the New Orleans area, silt from the Mississippi River decreased. This contributed to the loss of wetlands and barrier islands. So there IS a good purpose for muck or silt.

Since there IS a Creator who is bigger than all the muck, then could another Clarity be that muck does not just happen? Like silt that is chemically different than clay (see Wikipedia), could it be that the muck/silt in our lives produces fertile soil, soil which can be used to produce 'crops'? So silt/muck does not just gum up our lives; it has purpose. Further, the lack of silt contributes to lack of fertile soil, wetlands and barrier islands, protective islands, you might say. So, just like in the physical world, the silt, the muck, the turbid waters, set the stage for life and growth and 'barrier islands'. We have all experienced a new understanding following a particularly turbid time in our lives. This new wisdom brings new insight, providing protection. Our perspective then can be that we welcome the muck/silt, knowing it has a wonderful purpose. It does not just happen. Our Creator purposes muck for growth and protection.

2 comments:

  1. I would think that it would be important to seek clarity between the Muck/Silt that our Creator uses to build fertile soil and the Muck/Filth that worldly influences put into the stream on a daily situation... I am reminded of the "Gray Water" ditches that I first saw in Japan, which drained into the local Bay or River... a place that I was told no one, would swim in. So in the Physical Life the "Murk" in the water might be muck/silt or might be poison. Same as the Spiritual Life I would suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jer. 9:24 " ...boast about this: that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight." If I really know God as one who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness, then for the first time I experience the muck in my life, self-inflicted or other-inflicted, as just that--His kindness, justice and righteousness. Do I seek wholeheartedly, that is sincerely, with intense conviction, free from pretense, to know God in the muck and silt? Do I apply the bitter herbs of the cross to the muck to take out the poison? Isn’t it at that time that I am beginning my “knowing” of God.

    ReplyDelete